Well it’s been way too long since I’ve posted an update, but I have actually done some work on the car. I was able to spend some time working on it this summer, and my priority was to get the car rolling, which meant I needed to install the BMW E39 rear suspension in the vehicle.
Unfortunately I was working alone and in a bit of a time crunch, so I wasn’t able to get as many photos of the whole process as I would have liked, and the pictures I did take were just with my phone’s camera, so they aren’t that great. However, I got everything installed and I am very satisfied with the accuracy I was able to locate the rear subframe and how everything went together! Continue reading
Today I got my electric power-assisted steering column in the mail. It came out of a 2006 Vauxhall Corsa C, and I got it on ebay.co.uk for 58GBP shipped. These columns are commonly adapted for use in rally cars and custom cars, and provide a great way to have power steering without the requirement of a hydraulic pump and lines cluttering up the engine compartment. The column has a built in controller to adjust the amount of power assist based on vehicle speed and steering wheel torque input. There is a great write-up of what is required in order to retrofit one of these in a car over at Seventh Heaven.
After checking it out, I made a part model of it in CAD that contains the important geometry I will need in order to design the mounting points for it.
Body and Aerodynamics
The general shape of the car will stay the same, but in order to fit the 18×12 wheels with the wider track width in the rear, I will extend the quarter panels out to make a widebody. Similar modifications will be done to the front fenders to fit the 18×10 wheels, but not as extreme as in the rear. The front of the car will have a sheetmetal air dam and splitter to create a high pressure zone for the intercooler, oil cooler, and radiator, as well as to speed up the air flowing underneath the car. The car will have a flat bottom by using aluminum sheetmetal panels, as well as an aluminum rear diffuser. In 2009 I made a 1/10th scale model Volvo 240 as one of my final projects for my bachelor’s degree, and conducted wind tunnel testing on the model.
The engine block I will be using is a B230 that has been modified and fitted with BMW piston oil squirters. The crankshaft is from the Volvo Penta AQ171C, with 86mm stroke. The forged H-beam rods are 158mm c-c length from RSI. The pistons are Wiseco, also purchased through RSI. ARP rod bolts, head studs, and main studs were sourced from RSI as well. I am mounting the engine vertically instead of at a slant, so an oil pump was modified to allow this. I have gone back and forth on whether to go dry sump or not, but right now I will stick with a wet sump with trap doors in the B20 pan.
Modified oil pump pickup04-Jun-2011 12:59
Modified oil pump pickup04-Jun-2011 16:29
Modified oil pump pickup04-Jun-2011 16:49
In this post I will try as best as I can to summarize how this project started, what has (and has not) been done over the last 8 years, show some pictures and embarrassing videos, and give a general layout of where the project is heading.
I have always liked Volvos for their quirkiness and underdog status. When I was born I was driven home from the hospital in a 745 GLE, which in time became the first car I learned to drive on. By that time it was pretty beat up, but I liked the car regardless. After I turned 18 I bought myself a 1997 Camaro Z28 with the money I had earned from my jobs, and took that car with me to college. I didn’t like putting so many miles on the Camaro, so I started looking into getting a beater Volvo just to drive around. I ended up buying a 1988 Volvo 740 Turbo on craigslist for $300, and that’s when I got my first taste of forced induction. It was all downhill from there. Continue reading